Friday, February 11, 2011

waiting, waiting, waiting ...

This feels like it has been the longest week ever. I can't believe insemination was only a week ago ... it feels like it was a month ago. Time truly seems to slow down during the 2+ weeks between insemination and pregnancy test/period.

I've been having some pelvic pain and bloating in the last couple days. It's not like anything I've felt before during this part of my cycle, so I called my doctor's office to ask about it. I explained that the pain initially felt like it was more on the right side, but it has now become more low and central. Carol (amazing nurse) explained that the pain could be a couple different things. First, the right-sided pain could be the result of some of my follicles not releasing their eggs and instead turning into cysts. These cysts grow rather large and collect fluid. They also cause fluid to collect in the abdomen. They can cause a significant amount of pain and are not uncommon when the ovaries have been stimulated with fertility meds. These cysts are what Dr. Schmidt looks for when he does the baseline ultrasound every cycle on day 3. If there are any cysts present at that time, I have to skip a cycle. :( So far, this has not happened, and I hope it never will. What a double whammy ... to not be pregnant AND to have to skip a cycle. That would be so sad. :(

The more central, low pelvic pain is a good thing, according to Carol. She said that implantation can take place as early as 5 days after ovulation (which would have been Wednesday), and there can be pelvic pain associated with implantation (since this triggers a whole bunch of hormonal changes as well as the placenta starting to grow). She said that if this pain continues, it is a very good sign and may mean that I am pregnant. Of course, I was over the moon when I heard that!! Now, I can't think about anything else. I can't believe there might actually be a little bean (or two, or three ... haha!!!) growing inside me right now. I am SO trying not to get excited, but I just can't help it. So now, I am just wishing and hoping that this pain continues!!

I will be getting my blood drawn later this morning, to check my progesterone level. This level will confirm that I ovulated, and the higher the number, the better. I should get a phone call from one of the nurses on Monday, letting me know the results of the bloodwork.

For now, I just have to be patient ... wish it wasn't so hard!!!

1 comment:

  1. I was going to say that the pain can be implantation pain =) Woohoo! Keeping my fingers crossed! I had a dream that you told me you were pregnant and we both cried haha Hope that dream comes true!

    ReplyDelete