Saturday, July 31, 2010

FSH levels and HSG

Dr. Schmidt's nurse (Patty) called me this afternoon with my FSH results. My FSH is 12.3. Remember that 10 or below is normal or ideal. Patty said that 12.3 is great and completely normal for someone of my *ahem* advancing age (haha), and Dr. Schmidt is pleased with this number. She said that Clomid tends to work very well with this FSH level. I was very happy to hear this. :)

I had my HSG this morning. I was pretty nervous, mainly because of the thought of a catheter being inserted into my cervix! It wasn't bad at all, though. The whole procedure took less than 5 minutes. The catheter insertion was certainly uncomfortable, and I felt some pretty intense cramping when the dye was injected, but the whole thing went very quickly. I also got some great news ... Dr. Schmidt said that my cervix, uterus, and fallopian tubes are "beautiful" and "perfect for making and growing a baby"!!! I am so happy about this news. We still don't know if my ovaries are functioning properly (and he is still suspecting that they were somehow damaged by radiation), but I am hoping that the Clomid will jump start my ovaries and help me produce some good mature eggs. I have read several places online that having the HSG can increase the chances of pregnancy because it opens up the fallopian tubes. I'll take all the help I can get! :)

Tomorrow is my last day of Clomid. I have had a few hot flashes (most common side effect), which has been a bit surreal and a not-so-pleasant sign of things to come in about 10-15 years! Other than the hot flashes, I haven't had any issues with the medicine.

Next Friday (day 13 of my cycle), I will be having an ultrasound to see how many follicles (mature eggs) I have produced, and to figure out when I will ovulate. Dr. Schmidt will tell me that day when I need to give myself an injection of HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) in my belly. The HCG injection will make me ovulate 36 hours after I take it. It's amazing to me that this can be timed down to the hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment