Wednesday, April 25, 2012

healing

The D&C went as well as it could. Every staff member I encountered, from the person at the front desk who registered me to the nurse who wheeled me out to the car at the end of the day, was incredibly kind and compassionate. Each and every staff member also mentioned how much they love Dr. Nash. I have to agree. He is the kindest, gentlest, most compassionate doctor I've ever met. He is definitely in the right profession and specialty. He truly cares about his patients. I went into the OR at 12:05 and woke up in the recovery room at 12:50. I normally have a lot of nausea and vomiting after anesthesia, but they proactively managed that very well, and I had none today. The cramping has gotten more severe as the night has progressed, but they told me that was to be expected. It is definitely bearable. They said I could bleed for a couple weeks.

Physically, I am doing ok. Emotionally, I feel very drained, empty, and sad. It's hard to believe it's all over. Dr. Nash reassured me today that there is nothing I could have done differently to change this outcome. He reminded me that most miscarriages happen because of severe chromosomal abnormalities that are not compatible with life, although it's possible that the subchorionic hemorrhage could have contributed to or caused this miscarriage. He said that the results of fetal tissue biopsy should be back in 4-6 weeks. This should provide us with some answers, especially if there were chromosomal abnormalities. I have a follow-up appointment with him on May 9 (two weeks from now). Since this is my second miscarriage (I had one 8 years ago), he may do some testing on me to check for blood clotting disorders and other issues that could contribute to miscarriages.

We will be spending the weekend with my family at the lake, so it will be comforting to be surrounded by loved ones in a relaxing place. Brian and I are both ready to start healing from this incredibly sad situation. Our journey has encountered a major bump in the road, but I am trying to have faith that we will still end up being parents, somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment